Tivoli Storage Manager-A Quick Heal For Storing Information
Designed by IBM, the Tivoli Storage Manager is an efficient system for protecting data, giving the administrators the ease in storage and backup. The TSM, just like other enterprise back-up software, was designed for the purpose of making copies of a company’s data. This also meant to prevent the loss of data.
Quick look at the history of TSM
This software was developed as a result of a project that was done by the Almaden Research Center in 1988. This every first product of IBM, named Workstation Data Save, was designed with the purpose of backing up the PC or DOS, and AIX workstation data in a MVS server. Later on, the WDS was renamed as ADSTAR Distribution Storage Manager (ADSM) and again as Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM backup) in 1999.
Purpose of Tivoli Storage Manager
The TSM software, as an efficient software of system backup and recovery serves the following purposes:
- It provides various utilities for creating the backup scripts and schedules for facilitating any size of business.
- This software offers a wide range of backup options, comprising of full system installation, file system, volume group and raw logical volume.
- Businesses can easily install the image file of this software to another system, irrespective of the fact whether the other system has same or different configuration.
How does the TSM work?
The IBM Tivoli Storage Manager can efficiently manage the host of data on the tape disks and also transport the old data to lower the performance storage. This particular method is referred as hierarchical storage management. Also, the TSM makes use of the progressive incremental backup system wherein only the modified data is backed up in order to avoid data duplication.
This software can be configured in various manners for meeting the needs of a particular business. The IBM TSM is compatible with a wide range of hardware such as Linux, Windows, Linux and AIX.
Another quite popular data storage scheme is the multiple session backup. This data backup scheme can perform successive back up activities to facilitate in the improvement of the performance. During this backup processing, users can easily process more than one object by accessing the multiple sessions from the TSM. However, while using this particular backup scheme, it is necessary to ensure that:
- This is used only when one wants to increase the performance of the client.
- There are sufficient resources and processing capacity.
- The bandwidth of the network must be adequate enough to take care of the vast amount of data.
For successful implementation of the TSM backup manager, it is essential to have a proper understanding about how it works. You can spend sufficient amount of time searching the internet about the functionality of this efficient database storage and management system.
Author’s Bio: Simon Hopes is a leading author of contents about the various aspects of the Tivoli Storage Manager. He emphasizes his readers to implement the TSM backup for better storage of data.